Creating a frictionless checkout experience
for WiggleCRC customers

WiggleCRC | Web

"Metrics are hugely important to us. We measure absolutely everything possible, this data is the lifeblood of our business - we move fast, and we know if something is working, or if it isn't, really quickly." Those were the words of a colleague of mine whenever I worked at Chain Reaction Cycles as a UX Designer. This wasn't the first time I had heard this sentiment echoed either. I heard this a number of times, from a number of different professions within the business, and it was apparent that my work as a UX Designer would not only come under the scrunity of stakeholders, but the scrunity of weekly Google Analytics reports.

Read on to discover how I rose to the challange, engaged with stakeholder's to champion quantitive feedback (as well as qualitative) and enabled teams to consider a more user-centered approach, regardless of their job within the company.

Understanding the typical Chain Reaction Cycle user was critical to the ongoing success of the business.

Understanding Business and User Needs

Whilst I would always reccommend starting a project with stakeholder interviews, in this situation, it wasn't necessary. The existing UX team had established the requirements of the Checkout project - namely, reduce perceived friction and increase conversions. The success of any e-commerce business is of course, to sell more product.

Focus on the problem, not the solution


Design Workshops - Design workshops are a great way to facilitate discussion not just within the UX team itself, but also amongst the wider team. It's a great opportunity to get some outside perspective from team members you maybe don't talk to on a regular basis, such as folks from the customer Service department, or the sales team. They're customer facing members of the team and might offer a unique perspective. The objective of this workshop, fundamentally, is to focus on issues and problems, ideate solutions and create an actionable plan going forward.

Our initial workshop involved us focusing on feedback already received from Usability Testing, and from customers that had been in touch previously. Print outs. Lots and lots of print outs of our exsiting checkout process, which we could use to annotate and brainstorm ideas.

🕵️ Observations - Every single team member in the workshop was able to make suggestions to improve the checkout process. It was fantastic to work together with such a cohesive team, bouncing ideas off one another which created a "flow" of energy that resulted in lots of actionble design ideas. Briefly, and without going into too much detail, ideas such as:

A typical example of a design workshop, hosted by the UX team, with invitations to others within the buisness that have valuable insights to add.


Design iteration - Now that there was a clear plan of action amongst the team, I took ownership of quickly iterating designs in Sketch that would be used for both Usability testing and A/B testing.

🎨 Process - Using a combination of Sketch and Invision the team and I were able to rapidly iterate through ideas that we discussed in our design meeting. The process was very straightforward, with daily reviews internally within the UX team, and weekly meetings with stakeholders by presenting remotely using clickable prototypes in Invision.

The combination of ongoing, iterative UI updates with feedback from the UX team and stakeholders resulted in us rapidly being able to upload to a remote usability testing platform, What Users do, which is now usertesting.com. Through working further with the team to determine the best way to run usability sessions and how to screen appropraite participants, we were able to generate user scripts, agree on areas we'd like to test, upload the scripts along with the Invision prototype and have valuable insights within 24 hours.

Conclusion


Design iteration - Throught rapid itirative design loop of design, feedback, improvement, the UX team and I successfully launched an updated checkout for the CRC website. Results were positive, with an uptake in conversation rates within the first month at 2%, which then increased to 3.8% in the month there after. I was reliably informed by the Product Owner for the project at the time that this resulted in a projected profit of £1.5 Million.

From a revenue generating perspective, this was fantastic news for the company, but as well for the UX team and our continued efforts to provide solutions for the business and the user.

Get in touch

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.